Throughout AMC's online courses, there are several practical assignments to help you learn to apply the skills developed in the course. These assignments are submitted to the course instructor, who will review, comment and grade the assignment as evaluation of your skills. The following is an example of an assignment.
Project Charter Assignment
A project charter is a document that formally authorizes a project
and it defines the requirements, objectives, high-level estimates of the
project, and the responsibilities and authority of the project manager.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide an opportunity for
practical application of initiating processes. To be most applicable,
you will be required to select a project from your own experience or in
your field of interest. Here are some guidelines to help you make your
- Select a project that you understand very well.
- The project should be between 6 months and 1 year in duration.
- The project budget should be more than $75,000.
- The project must require a team of at least four people, and at least three of those people must have a cost associated with them (i.e. you can't have an entire team of volunteer resources).
- If you are choosing to use an event as your project, it must be at least a 7-day event, and weddings are not allowed. If you have questions, contact the instructors.
- If you are choosing a renovation project, it must be a large renovation. Renovating a few rooms in a single house is not large enough. If you have questions, contact the instructors.
These are guidelines. The idea is to have a project that is large
enough for you to apply all of the concepts you will be learning in the
entire program, but not so large that the project size makes completing
your assignments too difficult. If you have a project in mind that you
really want to use, and it does not fit within these guidelines, email
the instructors a description of the project before you do this
Important note: You may use historical information to create your project, but you must develop your own files demonstrating the concepts from the course.
If you are having difficulties selecting a project, contact the
instructor as early as possible to help you pick an appropriate project.
- Select a project on which you have worked in the past, which does
not already have a project charter. Or, make up a fictitious project
that is similar to a project that you would work on.
- Use the Project Charter Template provided to complete a charter
for your selected project. Remember that the purpose of a project
charter is to define the requirements, define the project objectives,
authorize the project, and define the authority and responsibilities of
the project manager. It should only contain high-level project
- Completed Project Charter (.doc)
The charter should be appropriate to the scale of the project but not so detailed as to limit the options. Therefore it should not be more than 3 pages long.
Tips for Completion
Consider the following tips to help you with this assignment. First, you only need to complete a charter for this assignment. You don't need to complete all of the provided templates. Be sure to review the comments in the sample Lab Build Charter to improve your own document.
Background and Requirements:
- The Background section should explain the situation clearly without stating the problem or opportunity provide the context for the need.
- The Need/Requirements section should state the problem or opportunity that created the project.
- The Objective must always start with "The objective of this project is to..."
- The performance statement comes before the outcome.
|Incorrect - Outcome stated first
||Correct - Performance statement first
|The objective of
this project is to increase sales revenue by 25% by designing and
launching an E-commerce site for Big Bag Totes by January 2015.
||The objective of this project is to
design and launch an E-commerce site for Big Bag Totes by January 2015 in order to increase sales revenue by 25%.
|The objective of this project is
to decrease client claim processing time to 5 days by implementing a
centralized Client database at U R Hurt Insurance by June 2014.
||The objective of this project is to
implement a centralized Client database at U R Hurt Insurance by June
2014 in order to decrease client claim processing time to 5 days.
High-Level Time and Cost Estimates:
Responsibility and Authority of the Project Manager:
- You are the project manager for your assignments.
- Use the information provided in the template as it is. Just enter in the name of the Project Manager (you) and the % and $ values where required.
- The sponsor needs to be an individual, not an organization.
- Remember to include a signature at the end with the sponsor's name. If you want, you can go to http://www.onlinesignature.in/ to create a cursive signature.
Finally, relax and have fun with this by using funny stakeholder or company names. Each week you will be learning something new and you'll develop the skills to answer some of the questions that you can't right now... we promise.
This assignment is due on the due date stated below. It is your responsibility, as project managers, to meet the schedule constraint defined for all assignments. Late assignments will be deducted by 10% for each day they are submitted late. All documents should be submitted by uploading the files in .doc format.
The pass mark for this assignment is 60% and it will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
|Clear and thorough definition of project situation and requirements
|Specific definition of project objectives using the "SMART” model
|Sufficient justification and explanation of constraints and assumptions
|Clear definition of Project Manager's responsibilities and authority